WIP Wednesday: Board Games!

Earlier this week, I took all the pieces of my picnic quilt out to my “design wall”.

picnic-quilt-layout

So close to being a completed top! I just received my shipment of Essex linen in Flax to use for the middle section. I think it will give it a nice break from the busyness of the top and bottom panels.

And I finally decided on the third game board! Actually, I let my husband pick and he decided on a game I had never heard of before, Nine Men’s Morris. I really liked that it was an old game and something we could learn to play together.

nine-mens-morris-board

Designing the board was a bit of a challenge. I made a “difficult” plan with intricate piecing and an “easy” plan with large blocks. After looking at each design, I decided to go with the easy plan :)

I decided to use different grays to compliment the checkerboard on the opposite side. Here are my grey auditions along with a few of my sketches and calculations.

board-game-design

Since I went with the easy version, I’ll need to quilt on the game board lines when the time comes. But I think it will be fun to incorporate the quilting into the game.

Lastly, a huge thanks to everyone who entered to win during the SMS giveway! I wish I was able to respond to all of your comments individually. However, I am hoping I get to know all of you new followers in the very near future :)

Linking up over at Freshly Pieced!

Michelle

Tags: ,

32 Responses to “WIP Wednesday: Board Games!”

1. Janet M. says:

I can’t wait to see the new board game come to life. Everything is looking good!

2. Sharon says:

What a fun project! I love the ones that evolve along the way.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks Sharon! It’s a new thing for me to not have everything planned out ahead of time, but I’m enjoying thinking it through as I go! :)

3. What a cool idea, making quilted board games for picnics! Are your game board blocks large enough to actually play the game on, or is it more thematic than functional? This quilt would be great as a wall quilt in a family game room, too — Wisteria catalog sells “vintage” board games painted onto wooden trays to display that way, and the set decorators for the TV show Mike & Molly have their game board trays hanging in the back hallway of their set for the living room.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks for checking out my project! The boards are actual board game size so we’ll be taking game pieces with us to the park :) I can’t wait to be sitting in the sun while in a heated scrabble battle! I love the look of vintage board games! I’ve never seen that show, but I can imagine it would make really fun decor!

4. Cornelia says:

oh i love your choice for the third game, my grandpa told me how to play it, when i was little and i still love it

totally love your swoon blocks

• Michelle Michelle says:

I’m glad to hear it is something you still love! That is so cool that your grandpa taught you how to play it. What fun! I hope it is something we’ll enjoy for years to come as well :)

5. jess says:

That is such a cute picnic blanket. I love the board games! What navy did you use for the swoon background?

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks Jess, we are huge board game fans at our house as well! The navy is cotton/linen chambray shirting. It’s a little tricky because I think there’s a bit of stretch in it but I love how it looks. :)

6. Vera says:

Yay. I want to see it already :-) I was wondering the same thing as Rebecca so now I’m clear on that one.

7. That is so cool! I love that you went with a game layout! Such an original idea! The flax will be a nice break between the panels!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks Barbara! I’ve always wanted a picnic blanket, but I never saw one I really wanted. And then it finally occurred to me that I could just make one myself! Quilting is the best! :)

8. Kelsey says:

Oh, it looks so good! I can’t wait to see the middle section come together. I need to make myself one of these picnic quilts.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks Kelsey! I’m excited to have this one crawl closer to the finish line :) You should definitely make a picnic quilt with some of your screen printed fabric. It would be amazing!!!!

9. Loving every last little bit of it! Your swoons are amazing, and your geese!!, love the stripes! Good job with the quilt math;) Perfect fabric pull for the next game, which i’ve never heard of but am googling now! Looks like you’re going to be the winner in the picnic quilt off! Mine’s still untouched in a closet at my parents!! Eep!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Haha, pull out that picnic quilt girl, it’s almost summer! :) I’m guessing all of your energy is still into hand quilting your most beautiful gypsy wife. And I totally understand that. Thanks for the love on my quilt! Why is quilt math so hard sometimes? Maybe because I was an English major haha. I had never heard of that board game either so I’m hoping it’s something we’ll actually enjoy playing :)

10. Willit says:

Quilting the game lines is a great idea. This is one awesome quilt! And it’s so close to being finished. I think this quilt is going to be loved for years (and perhaps generations) to come.

• Michelle Michelle says:

I’m glad you support the quilting the game lines! I was a little unsure so it’s nice to have a second opinion :) I’ve been putting off cutting up the pile of old jeans for the back, but I just need to do it. Time is flying! I hope that this one will last our family a very long time, I might not have the energy to make another one ever again ;)

11. That Scrabble block is perfection! I love the pops of color. What an ingenious idea for a picnic quilt!

• Michelle Michelle says:

Thanks Jess! I am in love with it and just try to forget all the stress it caused me while making it, haha. If we ever meet in person, I challenge you to a game of scrabble on the quilt :)

12. Carla says:

I know I should be admiring the beautiful quilt blocks, but I am simply envious of your board game. I grew up with board games, but my husband did not so he isn’t keen.

• Michelle Michelle says:

Oh, that is too bad :( Maybe you can still convince him?! My dad never was interested in board games while I was growing up, so I’m extra glad my husband enjoys them.

13. Carla says:

Ps: what about a backgammon board next? Fun triangles!

• Michelle Michelle says:

I asked my husband what game board he wanted and he said “anything but backgammon” haha. I think it is so stunning visually and would make such a good quilting project! Maybe someday :)

14. Kate says:

I love the pieces you’ve got on your “design wall”. And the design wall for that matter! What a great pairing!

15. Daisy says:

Definitely a great idea to quilt in the lines! And such a beautiful picture. I love coming to your blog!

16. Hillary says:

Michelle, this is going to be fantastic. I love the whole idea. Your photography btw is exceptional. It highlights your works so well.

Hillary